Sunday, March 27, 2011

Unveiling - And Wearing Hats This Spring!

Unveiling - With Hats and Veils


After a busy week, just getting back to Unveiling edits, in the middle of Chapter 4.

We can let our minds wander back to some of the images we've seen of our mother's time, or possibly, of our grandmother's. These were the days in which women wore hats. Back then, a woman was simply not "dressed" if she were without a hat, as it gave a sense of completeness to her costume. A woman's hat literally "topped things off." (from Unveiling, Chapter 4: Playtime for Grown-Up Girls, p. 45.)

I wore a hat when I went to a mini-fashion-presentation at my friend Dolly's house yesterday; CAbi (Carol Anderson by invitation) - lovely clothes! What I particularly like is that they comfortably encompass both professional and casual dress; very versatile. They are also mostly "stretchies" - figure flattering and immensely comfortable. Although I love designing and making my own clothes, I'm anticipating wearing a great deal of CAbi in the future!

Everyone loved the hat - but it was all about fashion, so it was important to "dress for the occasion." (Contact me at alaynya (at) alaynya (dot) com if you'd like me to get an invitation for you to the fall showing - and the presenter, Renata, is looking for representatives in the New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut aresas. Let me know - I'll pass your name along!)

I expect hats to surge in popularity for this spring - and did you know that famous millener (hat maker) Philip Treacy has been commissioned to make hats for the royal family, for the upcoming wedding of Kate and William?

I first saw Treacy's work on Project Runway, and was enthralled - hat-making taken to a new level, and to our current generation. Wearing one of these hats, we'd have all the power of unveiling - and not have to remove the hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment